We are committed to raising awareness of the dangers poorly maintained gas appliances can cause. A poorly maintained gas appliance can cause a gas leak in your home. Knowing what to do when you detect a gas leak can save lives. Gas has a distinct smell like rotten eggs or smelly socks. In this article, we highlight the steps you should take if you smell gas…
So, what should you do if you smell gas?
Here’s what you should do if you think you can smell gas and suspect you may have a gas leak, but you are not in immediate danger:
- Open windows and doors to let fresh air flow through
- Switch off the gas at the mains tap. The mains tap is usually located near the gas meter, you will need to move the handle a quarter turn until it is at 90 degrees from the pipe to stop the gas supply.
- Leave the property.
- Once you have exited the property call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999 from your mobile phone.
- Follow the advice given by the National Gas Emergency adviser.
- Wait outside the property for a Gas Safe registered engineer to arrive.
- If you feel unwell, visit your Doctor or hospital immediately. Tell them you may have been exposed to a gas leak or carbon monoxide poisoning.
However, if you think you can smell gas and are in immediate danger, then you must leave the property and call the National Gas Emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999. This number is free and is available 24 hours a day.
If you suspect a gas leak you must not do the following:
- Do not smoke, light a match or use any other naked flame.
- Do not turn any electrical switches on or off.
- Do not use mobile phones, doorbells, lights or any other electrical switches which could cause a spark.
What causes a gas leak?
A gas leak is usually caused by poorly maintained appliances, faulty appliances or badly installed gas appliances.
What happens if a gas leaks isn’t dealt with?
It is imperative that a gas leak needs to be dealt with immediately otherwise it can cause fires and explosions. Furthermore, if the gas is not burned completely it can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.